What piece of exercise equipment costs under £20, fits easily into your bag, can be used by the whole family, and improves hearth while toning muscle at the same time? The answer: a skipping rope.
Skipping is not only a great calorie-burner, but also a lot of fun. Here are five reasons why you should think about skipping on a regular basis:
1. Skipping can help improve your coordination between your feet, eyes and hands.
2. It can improve your way of thinking. Skipping forces your brain to learn and adjust to new patterns, which is a great way to challenge your brain.
3. Skipping is lightweight, easily accessible and a cheap form of workout.
4. Skipping is a great way to improve your breathing and stamina.
5. You can learn fun tricks and skills which you can use to impress your friends and family
Are you new to skipping? No worries at all. Skipping is fun, easy and looks super cool once you get the hang of it. Before you start, make sure you…
1. Choose the right skipping rope. If you are a beginner, the best rope to start off with is a beaded skipping rope, or a liquorice jump rope.
2. Check that you have the right length of the rope. How do you do this you might ask? To size your rope, stand the jump rope in the middle of the cord. The BOTTOM of the jump rope handles should come up to your armpit.
3. Pick the right surface to skip on. If this is your first time skipping, we wouldn’t recommend a trampoline or slippery surface. Instead, try a smooth, soft surface, like a hardwood floor, for your first try. Hardwood floors are great as they give you a little extra bounce and is easier on your knees.
So no need to drag yourself to the gym. Simply grab your jump rope and show us what cool tricks you can do! To find more easy and fun ways to stay fit and active, get in touch with us at http://livingwise.org.uk/ or call 020 7616 2338